Torrents have a lot of controversy attached to them, they have been made illegal in many countries around the world due to the easy with which pirated content is shared through them. But that has not affected the number of people still willing to risk using torrents. 8-bit Sumo provides information on why this is so. So what is about this medium that attracts so many people to use it regardless of the risk of arrest and malware infestation, let’s take a look at a few merits of using torrents.
- Torrents use peer to peer protocol which is relatively more secure than if you connect to one server as a whole network of computers are involved.
- If one server is down, many other will still be up to provide the download data at all times.
- It’s harder to detect or shut down the network, especially if its particularly large because shutting down one server will make no difference, in order to shut down the entire network you would have to shut down all the servers at the same time. This is impossible due to the number of servers and their global distribution.
- There is a huge library of content available to be downloaded which makes it easy to find almost anything you need online through torrent sites.
- If your connection is broken or your computer shuts down for an unexpected reason, your download progress will not be lost, it will just start where it left off. This does not happen in traditional downloads where you need a steady connection or you would have to start all over again.
- Even with a slow internet connection, you can still download files faster than normal downloading methods.
That’s pretty much answers the question as to why torrents are still preferred.